I’ve been hearing a lot about Brookstone Massage Chairs lately and that doesn’t surprise me one bit!
The brand has kicked up a storm with its premium-grade products and earned accolades from thousands of users.
But is everything that glitters Gold?
Unfortunately, with the 120+ models that just fled the market this year, not every chair (even from TOP BRANDS) are good.
I’ve had hands-on experience with close to a dozen Brookstone models and bizarrely only 3 turned out to be impressive. Now, being a massage chair enthusiast I expected more in terms of features and overall quality for the price they charge.
Then again, you don’t have to go for Brookstone either. I’m going to give you just the right alternatives to consider for the next purchase.
I can tell you right now, that there are indeed BETTER Alternatives to a few Brookstone models.
Brookstone is undeniably a reputed company that manufactures a wide range of great massage chairs.
We took the time out to review several models of this brand, and only 3 EVEN made to the list as being decent quality products.
If I succeeded in kindling your interest to know more about this topic, then you might as well want to read the rest of this article.
So, let's dive in...
If You Want to Find Out Which Chair is The BEST in The World Right Now, Read This Guide Here
Signature 3D Zero Gravity Massage Chair
This particular model from the brand of Brookstone is undoubtedly its top-selling product and offers a full range of attractive features.
It was developed a couple of years back when the company partnered with Inada.
Let’s take a quick glance at its standout features.
- Pressure-relieving one-touch zero gravity recliner
- S-track design and 3D massages with 5 intensity levels
- 7 types of back massage programs with simultaneous knead, tap, and roll massage feature
- 20 auto massage programs such as nighttime, morning, relax, recover, flex, twist, twist, stretch, upper and lower body
- Full body “Dynamic Squeeze” customizable air massage with 46 air cells
- Can be accessed with a remote, smartphone, or the one-touch panel on it.
The zero-gravity feature brings the entire body weight into play and achieves even bodyweight distribution, putting the entire body to rest.
The model combines reflexology, physiotherapy, and chiropractic techniques to give an all-around intensive massage experience.
It consists of an S-track design with a four-node roller that is designed to deliver thorough massages to your back and especially to your spinal column.
This helps release tension and stress from stiff muscles; it treats faulty pressure points and improves blood circulation in this area, thus treating chronic or acute aches in the region.
The chair also delivers 7 kinds of massage techniques such as kneading, tapping, tapping and kneading, shiatsu, rolling, Thai, knead and hold.
Additionally, it offers you the feature of simultaneous knead, taps, and roll massage feature that works efficiently to give you one of the most intense massage regimes.
The chair with its 20 preset massage programs caters to different problems and works towards treating them in specific ways.
The full-body air massage feature provides a deep and rejuvenating experience via a large number of air cells located on different essential parts of the body.
It helps relieve joint ailments in the lower body, de-stress the muscles on your shoulders, calves, and arms, and calms the entire body.
The heat feature on your shoulder, feet, calf, and lower back provides absolute comfort and taps the therapeutic energy of the traditional massage into the body that accelerates the overall healing process.
- Designed for comfort
- Space-efficient or “zero-wall” design
- Bluetooth music support with dual, full-range speakers
- Heating in 4 different zones
- S-track massage design
An excellent alternative for this model would be the Kahuna LM6800 that offers a great range of features, build quality, and reliability at a lower price.
The following are the standout features of this model:
- The zero-gravity feature in this model offers you three seating positions for that ultimate “floating” sensation.
- It has an L-track design with 2D massage rollers that delivers you a thorough massage from your neck to the glutes.
- The seat has a vibratory feature that helps treat joint aches.
- The heat feature is available in the lumbar region and also in the calf region that instantly de-stresses the entire body and tired legs.
- The yoga-stretch feature stretches the spinal column, the whole upper body, and the hamstrings.
- The model consists of 36 airbags with 3 adjustable levels.
- It also has dual foot rollers and a detachable footrest for easy cleaning purposes.
- Additionally, this model employs noise reduction technology for a peaceful experience and a smart body scan that locates all your problem areas.
We recommend the Kahuna LM6800 more because it provides all the necessary features and superior build quality at a price that is cheaper than the Signature model.
The added security is that is has been approved as medical equipment by the FDA itself.
In addition to that, the Kahuna brand is reliable and has better customer support.
Brookstone Renew 3D Zero Gravity Massage Chair
This is another great zero gravity massage chair from the house of Brookstone that offers some beneficial features.
It is designed to sustain a maximum weight of 275 pounds and has the one-touch zero gravity recline feature along with a full-body scan, like the rest.
Let’s have a look at its standout features.
- Consists of 3D massage rollers with 5 adjustable intensity levels.
- Features an L-track design that massages the entire spinal column right down to the glutes.
- Offers 9 preset massage programs for you to select from, namely, renew, recovery, relax, stretch, upper and lower body.
- The heat setting in this model is available in the lumbar region and calves.
- This model comes with 30 air cells to provide air massage to your shoulders, arms, hands, calves, and feet; customizable with 5 levels of intensity and 2 zones.
This model comes with an L-track design and 3D massage rollers which almost mimic the movement of a real masseur's hand in delivering intensive massages from the neck, along with the spine, and down to your very glutes.
This helps relieve chronic and acute aches in the body and alleviates joint ailments, especially arthritic symptoms in the lower body or elsewhere.
This chair also offers 9 preset massage programs that are created to cater to specific requirements, and these are different kinds of massages that have particular techniques to help you achieve total calm and therapeutic satisfaction.
The heating in the lumbar and calf region provides immense comfort to the body and accelerates the beneficial effects of these massages.
This, too, is a space-efficient model, needing only around 4 inches from the wall.
However, this chair can be very heavy, and it cannot be easily moved around or transferred to some other space.
Not to mention, it is also costly than most other models with almost the same features.
- Great range of features
- L-track design with 3D massage rollers
- Space efficient model
- Heating in lumbar and calf region
Although this is a pretty charming massage chair with an attractive range of features, it doesn’t really make up for a pocket-friendly purchase.
This is why we decided to pick an alternative for you that offers you all the useful features at a lesser price.
This is the Kahuna SM 7300 massage recliner.
The standout features of this model have been discussed for you below.
- This model combines the power of both the L-track and the S-track to bring you the unique SL-track design that is longer than traditional massage tracks and massages from the top of your head down to your glutes and thighs.
- The model comes with ambient LED lightings for chromotherapy.
- This model provides an elaborate airbag structure for your shoulders, arms and hands, calves and even for your feet.
- The heat setting in this chair is available in the lumbar region.
- This massage chair offers 5 preset massage programs for an intensive and rejuvenating massage experience.
- The auto programs in this chair include Yoga program, Relaxation, Pain Relief, Office Person, Athlete, Fast Recovery, Senior mode, Golfer mode, and Dynamic Sport.
All in all, it provides all the basic and a couple of attractive features for you without searing a hole in your pocket.
It is designed for comfort and is space-efficient.
Additionally, The Kahuna SM7300 is one model that has the advantage of having features like the unique SL-track and Chromotherapy over this Renew model from Brookstone.
This is why we duly recommend it as a better alternative to the Brookstone model.
Brookstone Rock and Recline Shiatsu Massage Chair
The Rock and Recline massage chair from Brookstone has been created keeping comfort as the priority for its design.
It delivers a deep tissue and full body shiatsu massage and provides a thorough and intense massage experience.
Let’s take a look at what it’s got to offer.
- It comes with an L-track design for delivering a thorough neck to glutes massage
- Offers shiatsu, tapping and rolling massage techniques for you to choose from
- The auto programs include sessions like Quick, Relax, Stress Relief and Energize
- Comes with a removable pillow for extra support
- Heat setting available in the lumbar region
- Space-efficient model
- Fully remote-controlled
This rock and recline massage chair is designed to be used as a comfortable recliner that provides massages in the reclined position via its L-track design.
This helps to massage the whole of your spinal column from the neck to the glutes and helps alleviate chronic and acute aches, especially in the lower back region.
It also releases tension from stiff muscles and aids in muscle recovery.
The realistic techniques of kneading, tapping, and rolling provide a full-body massage that helps repair the body and mind from within and alleviate any irksome and persistent ache.
Coupled with the heat setting in the lumbar region, it helps to rejuvenate your entire body.
Moreover, it improves blood circulation and treats pains caused by knotted veins and blood vessels in these regions.
The preset auto massage programs give you extensive and all-around massage therapy, relieving all the stress and finally energizing you after a hard day's work.
This helps to normalize heart rate and extreme tension and pressure.
Moreover, it can help treat sleeping disorders like insomnia and cure irregular sleeping patterns.
This model can be placed anywhere in the house and easily sets up in the TV room or reading room or even in your bedroom if need be.
It is space-efficient like all the rest of the Brookstone models.
However, this is not a zero-gravity model.
It doesn’t come with features like body scanning or elaborate structures for air massage.
It also doesn’t have foot rollers or massagers for the calves or feet.
- Massages can be delivered in the reclined position
- Intensive full-body massages
- L-track design
- Space-efficient and sets up anywhere in the house
- Not a zero-gravity massage chair
- Does not have body scan, foot-rollers or air-cells
Since we aren’t entirely satisfied with the features and performance of this model, we decided to provide a suitable alternative for you for almost the same price you pay for this one.
Our pick will be the iJoy 2580 from Human Touch that offers an excellent range of affordable and comfortable massage chairs.
The features of this model have been discussed for you below.
- This model comes with an S-track design and quad massage rollers with customizable massage intensity.
- It allows you to manually adjust the path of the rollers for getting massages in particular areas, thus gaining the advantage of a spot massage regime.
- The chair offers you 4 different kinds of massage techniques namely, kneading, percussion, compression, and rolling, that help to efficiently alleviate acute and chronic aches in the body.
- It also includes 3 pre-programmed massage options: Back Refresh, Neck/Shoulder Release, and Lower Back Relief, which instantly calms and rejuvenates the entire body.
- Apart from the manual massage technique, this model also includes a “zone massage” feature that allows the rollers to cover an area of 6” in diameter and enables you to focus on the more sensitive areas on your back.
- It is a lightweight recliner and comes with wheels that make it easy to move it around.
- It includes a one-touch button on the remote that can recline it up to 170 degrees, and also features a cup holder for your beverages.
The iJoy 2580 practically has a lot more features than the Rock and Recline model from Brookstone.
It comes with a range of massage features with quad rollers and customizable intensity levels and the special “zone massage” feature that tops it all.
Also, you could easily avail of this at a price that is not comparatively steeper than what you’d pay for the Brookstone model.
Hence, in our opinion, it is a significantly better alternative to the Rock and Recline.
There are a few more models that we are not reviewing here due to a chair being outdated or lacking in advanced features.
Example: Brookstone Renew 2 massage chair, Brookstone Energize 3D;
Can You Overuse a Massage Chair?
Is a massage chair appropriate for every physical ailment or type of massage, such as Swedish? Here's how the most popular models work, and how you can use them safely. Absolutely. Massage chairs are great for helping relieve muscle pain and stiffness. It is okay to use a massage chair at your home for comfort but you need to take some time to read up on safety. Overuse can lead to a problem known as "pressure rashes." These can include flaky skin, redness, and bumps, according to the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA).
Mild pressure rashes should clear up on their own but the signs can be uncomfortable and especially embarrassing. While most rashes and even some blisters can be treated with over-the-counter products, more serious cases require you to see a health care professional. If you experience any of these symptoms or you are worried that your massage chair has given you a rash, you should contact a professional immediately. According to the AMTA, overuse of massage chairs can be a problem for women. Some of the health reasons why women might be at a greater risk of developing rashes and other issues associated with massages include.
What Does Brookstone Sell?
The vast majority of Brookstone’s revenue comes from its namesake brick-and-mortar stores, its accompanying website, and its BrookstonePop subscription service, which was launched in 2016. We have a unique business space-saving model with Bluetooth speakers that leverage our iconic product and assortment while leveraging our retail and online channels to drive each of our business segments,” Bass says in the letter. According to Q2 earnings data released in August, the company’s net sales were down 3.8% from the same period in 2016. What Are Its Partners Saying? Much like Bloomingdale’s, Brookstone’s troubles have prompted some of its strategic partners to reconsider their relationship.
Brookstone is a great brand with a rich history, and we are committed to finding a way to build a strong future for the brand and its employees. Brookstone is being financially pressured from many sides and we have, unfortunately, reached a point where the company has been forced to consider a sale of the business,” Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly told Crain’s in an email. I don’t think it’s our goal to own and operate a brick-and-mortar business,” he added, explaining the decision to close its 10 locations, which include three in Illinois. Brookstone’s senior advisor Robert Pearis of JLL Partners Management also told Crain’s in July that the retailer would likely be sold in.
Are Back Massage Chairs Worth It?
Constant support can be vital for both in-office and home use. Best of all, a back massage chair is super affordable. Once you see what these lightweight and compact machines are capable of, you'll likely decide this is the best investment for your health ever. The Overall Best Back Massager Chair All-Purpose adjustable chair $80 Amazon See On Amazon Why it's great: With more than 6,000 reviews on Amazon, this chair is built to last. With a low price tag, free shipping and good customer service, ergonomic design, and back massager on the bottom of the footrest, it's an excellent pick for those on a tight budget. Many reviewers even mentioned how helpful this chair is for long car rides.
The Bottom Line...
Although Brookstone offers up an extensive lineup of luxury massage recliners, we have to consider how much it is presenting in its range of features for the price it’s demanding.
These are quality massage chairs that include some desirable attributes.
However, the downside to this is that these chairs are comparatively expensive and also cumbersome to move around.
Moreover, certain models provide just basic massage techniques with no extra smart features.
I am of the opinion that the Kahuna models or the HT iJoy model offer a much wider range in the same price range (if not cheaper) and work as a better alternative to the Brookstone models.